Wales welsh boys welsh dating lovers
Errors there may be, but every effort has been made to verify the data. "His work will supply a felt want, in the literature of Windsor, and it should prove very acceptable to all lovers of the Hawkesbury districts. Stogdell, Palmer, Hobbs, Diggers, Jones, Benn, Smallwood, Dr. The present township of Pitt Town stands on portions of these grants, which had to be resumed for township purposes in 1810. A Government store was established in 1798, and placed in charge of William Baker, whose name is perpetuated in Baker Street, Windsor and Baker's Lagoon, near Richmond. In the year 1804 Governor King appointed trustees for the several Commons of the Colony. Everingham (a Matthew James Everingham died on 25th December, 1817, aged forty-eight years, and was buried in St. The authorities consulted will be found at the end of the book, but I cannot close my studies of Old Windsor without again thanking the many correspondents who have assisted me, and especially Mr. "As years roll on it will certainly become an invaluable work of reference on all matters connected with the district." JOHN TEBBUTT, F. In 1796 Governor Hunter visited the district, and instructions were given to construct a road from Parramatta to the Hawkesbury, and soon after this road was placed under a Trust, Dr. This early store was situated somewhere near the present Thompson Square. Regular masters of all the settlers, both free and bond, were held from time to time, and separate records kept of men, women, and children belonging to each class—military, officers, civil officers, freemen, prisoners and settlers. Andrew Thompson being so appointed for both the Ham and Nelson Commons. The hospital has been remodelled, but the old main walls remain. A painting of Governor Macquarie was arranged for by the inhabitants of Windsor during his last visit to the town, and this was executed on his return to England, at a cost of £73 10s., and has hung in the Court House for the past ninety years. Barracks for one hundred convicts, with high brick wall. The high brick wall was lowered many years ago, and the barracks are those still seen in Bridge-Street. The original gaol was, we believe, built before Macquarie's time, but he had it enlarged about the year 1820. The land was sold by Laban White, on 5th July, 1838. "During the unfortunate disturbances (the arrest of Governor Bligh) which lately distracted this colony, he, whose death we now lament, held on the 'even tenor of his way,' and acquitted himself with mildness, moderation, and wisdom, and when the ruthless hand of death arrested his earthly career, he yielded with becoming fortitude, and left this world for a better, with humble and devout resignation, and an exemplary confidence in the mercies of his God." The following account of the funeral appeared in the Sydney Gazette, 3rd November, 1810:—In the mention of the death of A. John Macarthur, referring to his death, says: "It was an interposition of Providence to save the colony from utter ruin; never was there a more artful or a greater knave." In Bigge's report on the colony of New South Wales, made in 1822, he describes him as using his wealth so as to gain an influence with the small settlers on the Hawkesbury, and also as a man of loose moral character. Governor Macquarie's reply, granting the citizens' request, is dated from Government House, Windsor, 4th January, 1822. The Cope family lived in the old cottage next the Presbyterian Church; the name appears in the Post Office Directory at 1835. Thompson, Esq., in the Gazette of last week, we should have added an account of the funeral, which took place on Friday Se'nnight (which means seven night), had we in time received it. Cartwright walked foremost, and was followed by Surgeons Mileham and Redfern, who had attended the deceased through the long and painful illness that brought to a conclusion an existence that had been well applied, Next followed the bier, attended by Captain Antill, A. But every fair-minded historian will see that a man who won the esteem of three successive Governors, as well as of all the leading residents of the district in which he lived, including the clergymen, and at whose funeral the whole district followed "their friend and patron" must agree that to call Andrew Thompson a bad citizen is a distortion of plain facts. Richard Fitzgerald arrived in the colony in the ship William and Ann, on the 28th August, 1791, when about nineteen years old. A fresh impetus was given to the church by the settlement of the Rev.
Some good cedar trees were growing in the district, and settlers were prohibited from cutting them, as the Government claimed them all. Thomas Arndell and Charles Grimes, Deputy Surveyor, were appointed resident magistrates in 1802. Grimes left the district in 1803, and was succeeded by Surveyor G. Trustees: William Cox, John Bowman, Andrew Thompson, Edward Tutterill, William Minchin. Trustees: Andrew Thompson, Thomas Biggars, Thomas Tyler. As will be seen on reference to the articles on "Schools and Churches" elsewhere, divine service was held at the Hawkesbury by Rev. A covered waggon began to ply three times a week between Windsor and Sydney, starting on 9th February, 1805. An address was presented by them to the Senior Chaplain, Rev. Marsden, on the occasion of his visiting England in 1807. A big flood in Maitland in 1875 called forth the sympathy of the Windsor residents, who subscribed one hundred and ten pounds for the relief fund. It is said that he also had an illicit distillery here. Biggars got a similar reward at the same time, spirits in those days, as was well-known, being a medium of exchange. is one disadvantage in being a pioneer—the just appreciation, which is jour due, comes about one hundred years after your death. 18 history of the Hawkesbury District between the years 17 consists of the discovery, exploration and naming of the river and its tributaries, among them the Mc Donald and the Colo Rivers, by Governor A. We now come to the era of modern times, when, as will be Been in the article on the Municipality, water was laid on to the streets in 1890, and the streets were lit with gas in 1887, streets were attended to, and footpaths kerbed and formed, and better sanitary laws enforced. In 1882, on 22nd February, a great cricket match was played on the Fairfield ground between an All-England Eleven and twenty-two players from the Hawkesbury clubs. In 1891 the Hawkesbury Agricultural College was started, 3,195 acres of Ham Common being taken for the purpose. We find amongst the advertisements in the old papers in 1878 the following names which are still familiar: W. They were registered in October, 1802, and March, 1804, and carried crews of three to six men each. from 1817 to 1835, and he arrived in the colony in the Pitt on 11th April, 1806. Strange to say, it escaped the fire in 1874, when the church and all the surrounding buildings were laid low. Governor Phillip when he explored the Hawkesbury in 1789 was moved to designate it "so noble a river", and, in the years to come, his successors had reason to endorse this opinion, for the banks of the river were the granary of the infant settlement. Phillip and Captains Collins, Johnston, Watkin, and Tench. A special train was run from Sydney, and one thousand spectators were present. From otter sources we learn that these vessels were built on the Hawkesbury. So rapid was the church's growth that it was decided to build a larger church, the foundation stone being laid on 17th October, 1838, by the Rev. Schofield, and the church, measuring fifty by thirty feet, capable of seating one hundred and fifty people, and costing one thousand and twenty pounds, was opened on 4th December, 1839, during the pastorate of Rev. This hall was built to accommodate the Wesleyan day-school. The church, which measures fifty-two feet by thirty-two feet, and cost two thousand and eighty pounds, was opened on 30th August, 1876, when a collection of four hundred pounds was taken, leaving a debt of six hundred and forty pounds on the building, which had been reduced to one hundred and sixty-four pounds in the year 1882, and has long since been cleared off. For the first twenty-five or thirty years of the settlement of New South Wales, the Hawkesbury was looked upon as the granary of the colony. In his house were held several meetings of, local residents, one on 20th January, 1807, to petition the Governor aginst the importation of wheat. Governor Bligh, who took to farming in 1807, bought several holdings on the river, near Pitt Town, near where the present punt is located. A portion of this (six perches) was resumed for public road purposes on 25th January, 1899. When floods came the greatest anxiety was caused in Sydney and Parramatta, and floods were fairly frequent in those days. We might here mention that wheat was selling on 19th January, 1806, at nine shillings and threepence in Windsor, and ten shillings a bushel in Sydney. Some oak trees planted at the time are known to-day as Bligh's oaks. The rest of the land was disposed of when the present manse was purchased, in 1902, as it was not suitable for manse purposes.